Monday, December 02, 2013

Breakfast Poem in my Home

“White House Inn”

Crackling smacking popping splits
My eardrums as I waddle forth
The smells of morning trickle in
Of breakfast, rolls, eggs, and grits

Not for me, but for my friends
The sleepy men of white house inn
And slowly we awake and cringe
To class room seats that makes us sore

But back to breakfast for a spell
For Christopher has wakened well
Dressed and clean he dapperly dons
The best of fashion and hums along

His thousand songs he sings aloud
In high pitched voice with many vowels
Like rooster crowing in the morn
Hellooo! He bellows with bronze horn

But Jeff is like a happy mouse
Squeaking proudly smiling bright
The morning waits for him to rise
Before the sun shines it’s light

Oats and raisins are his fare
Too good for coffee black or cream
Mornings bring him little thought
Because he likes to laugh a lot  

Grunts and sighs are heard around
And coffee perks and bubbles loud
Bacon fries and bagels bake
We rub our eyes and soon awake

And then comes Timothy prancing in
Like deer or fawn or creature brim
A kind, which of later time
We’ll one day find to be divine

For he became an Anglican
And left us Presbyterian
Off he goes to morning mass
But wait, that’s Catholic, what an ass

Then comes Ben who bumbles bringing
Bragging breaming slowly dreaming
He too awakens from his sleep
But always looks to be counting sheep

There they stand the men so proud
Of white house inn and yell aloud
“We are men who sleep too deep”
But where is Andrew… still asleep

Lost in bed his pillow filled
With pounds of lead and iron gild
I saw him once ere clock struck six
Was that him, or played he tricks?

Regardless there is one left out,
Me of our course, I scream in shout,
So here I am in sweat pants clad,
Am I awake, have I gone mad?

A stare at Sheva in window bright
Her web has taken flea from flight
I watch the squirrels run up the tree
“Joseph,” a voice calls to me

“Yes” I say, I look around
The men of white house inn sit down
For breakfast in our humble home

The place in which we share shalom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home